Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Powerspot 14 December 2005

It's difficult to try and put together a 90 minute show at the end of the year which asks the question "What have been the best and most interesting pieces of music I have heard this year?". Not necessarily new music either. I am always delighted to find new musical sounds which have escaped me in the past. Amadou & Mariam from Mali spring to mind immediately with their excellent release of 2004 entitled Dimanche a Bamako. The track I am featuring off this on Wednesday night's show is one which I have played repeatedly- Senegal Fast Food featuring Manu Chao.In fact a lot of the pieces you will hear have been played repeatedly this year because not only are they wonderfully crafted pieces of music, but they also give me great delight whenever I play them. From Khinshasa comes Konono No1 with their overamplified sound systems, electrified likembes (thumb pianos) resonators and all manner of odd hand made instruments making a mad chaotic cacophony of sounds. It's raw, honest and unlike anything I have ever heard. Listeners are connecting with it. There are sounds from Delhi's electro hindu pop wunderkinder Midival Punditz. These guys make interesting modern electronic Indian dance music and I am looking forward to interviewing them next year.From Tijuano Mexico comes the Nortec Collective, as well as music from African superstars Baaba Maal & Salif Keita; achingly heartfelt & beautiful Brazilian sounds from Celso Fonseca (defintely a highlight for me this year- made me sit up and listen to Brazilian music again), as well new material from Susheela Rahman. Lastly I will be broadcasting another audio grab from the DVD by 1 Giant Leap from the UK, a long time firm favourite of mine.

As I mentioned, it is difficult to put a Best Of Powerspot 2005 together. What I have tried to do with tonight's show is give listeners new and old a starting point from which to begin their own journey. I hope you enjoy what you will hear.